Update from Wonderland: July Edition

I finally had surgery, and let me be the first to say I look like hell.

Before I tell you about the rest of my month, allow me to explain what my trip to hospital was like.

First of all, this surgery was meant to happen on the 7th. We got to the hospital at 11:30 and were sent home just after six, after almost seven hours of waiting. I had been dehydrated, anxious and terrified for nothing. The consultant I had been seeing was really sympathetic about it though, and had it rearranged for the 13th. Another reason to hate Mondays.

I was admitted at 7:30 and not seen until after noon. I was down for three and a half hours apparently.

Now I’m going to tell you about the surgery itself. From here until the line break, this could be too personal or too gross to some people. Feel free to skip past it.

What I had done was a right thyroid lobectomy. Basically they removed the right side of my thyroid and the suspicious nodule of undetermined status. Theoretically, my body can run fine on half a thyroid, but I should be looking out for any indication it’s not. If it’s not, I’ll be on pills forever. It’s not ideal, but it’s better than the alternative.

So they surprise me after noon by taking me down to be anaesthetised. I thought I preserved my dignity well walking down the corridor and not being wheeled on the bed. Turns out it didn’t matter when I had to give them my bra and be wheeled from the waiting ward through.

The anaesthetists were nice. They knew I was scared, probably because I was trembling. They tried to put the cannula in my hand and take some bloods, but apparently my “delicate veins” made it difficult. So they had to try the other had and just attach the cannula.

Everyone told me it was a nice feeling to go under. I don’t think it was nice. That’s not to say it was as awful as I was expecting; it wasn’t painful or even that scary. I felt the cold go in my hand, spreading up my arm like an uncomfortable ache. My eyes were heavy, I couldn’t finish answering the questions…

I woke up in recovery. The nurses were nice. One got me a drink and arranged for me to be taken down to the ward ASAP. I wasn’t in that much pain, but she did give me some morphine. This will go on to explain why I apparently had conversations I cannot remember.

And yes, as a fun fact, high me left sober me a note for our dissertation. “All werewolves are feminine”. I have no idea what prompted this, but thanks, high me.

The night was all kinds of awful. I had my own room which was fortunate, because I could hardly sleep. I finally passed out at 12:30am, after getting five hours sleep the previous night, and just napped until 5:50. Then I woke up and played a hundred games of solitaire until I was discharged after 2pm.

That was it. My hospital experience. The staff was most lovely, but everything took hours when it shouldn’t have. Four hours to get me a discharge letter is a tad extreme.

I’m in a lot of pain today. My scar is scabbing so it looks worse than it will look. My voice is weak and sort of dying. I’ll receive results back in two to three weeks.

Hopefully when Natalie gets up, she’ll paint my nails and everything will be better for me.


Hello and welcome back to everyone who skipped over the hospital section!

Here is a representation of how I feel now that it’s all out of the way:


So what else this month?

I promise to do some real posts soon. Now that my final assignment is due in a week, I’ll have summer to do my dissertation and some posting for fun. I have a dozen half-finished pieces that I’m desperate to upload.

This month, I’m also going to see Sister Act with my actual sister! The boyfriend bought us tickets for my birthday, and I am so excited to be going. It’s sort of the best rewards for finishing my MA and surviving surgery.

And some exciting news…

I got on to the PCET! I’ll be learning to teach come September, along with the best friend Fiona. And the great thing is Lee and Ali are doing their MA too. So it’s sort of like we’re all back together in a way.

I’ll update more on that when I have more updates.

Once more, I am sorry about the two months of silence here. I’ve just been swamped, and I hope you all understand.

And so, dear readers, we reach the end of another post.

Let me ask you this: how have your Julys been? Have you had any major changes? And what are you most looking forward to in the coming months?

Let me know your thoughts.


About Stephanie Gallon

I'm an author, a blogger, and a zealot of all things written. I work as an English teacher in England, and have a PGCE PCET, a distinction in MA English studies and first class honours in BA English and Creative Writing. I have more degrees than friends
This entry was posted in General and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s